Saturday, January 28, 2012

Desert Dwellers

Wild Man Phil was back again with another of his Desert Dwellers presentations.  He is the most entertaining speaker (and informative) that I've met in a long time.  He certainly kept our attention with all the critters he kept pulling out of his pockets. 
While he joked and told stories about the scorpions, we also learned how many there are, different kinds, wives tales, and sting remedies.
 
It was amazing to see how brightly the scorpions glow at night under a black light.
 
Then came the tarantula.  We heard the stories about male & female and how they lead separate lives.  Again, very informative but oh so entertaining.
 
 
Since I had arrived early I was fortunate?? to get a front row seat when Wild Man Phil pretended that the spider jumped from his hand.......and landed RIGHT AT MY FEET!!!  I was NOT expecting to become part of the show and really freaked out when the rubber spider landed.  I certainly added to the laughter of the audience when they saw my reaction and heard my hysterical scream.  I'm so glad no one else had a camera to record my tears of relief and hysteria.
 
Next came the really cool lizards.  This collared lizard was a real blue beauty with a yellow head.  He's the fastest critter since he stands up on his back two feet to run.
 
The Chuckwalla is a placid character who Phil proved could be cute and lovable.




 
And.....of course....there was the tale of Stumpy and how he came to live with Phil and his family.


Snakes??  Yes, they came out of Phil's pocket also.  Red and black:  friend of Jack.  Red and yellow:  kill a fellow



Phil will be back for one more presentation on February 19 when he talks about the birds and other wildlife found abundantly in Arizona.  I highly recommend his events for a great evening.  You can visit his website at:  www.wildmanphil.com
Posted by Picasa