Wednesday, July 13, 2011

All in one day!

We saw lots of activity around the park this morning while out on our rounds.  It is so nice to see the landscape crew out helping homeowners with their weed crop that grows so rampant in the summer months.  I’ll bet many folks never know they’re being helped this way.  Your yards would be an overgrown weedy mess without some behind the scenes help.

Bourque 1874

Smith 1872 blog

Thurlow 1052 blog

Work still continues on cleaning out the creek bed that runs through the park.  It has been many years since this was done so this is a KING SIZE chore and not very pleasant.  This week work continues on holes 14-18.

blog

blog

blog

Farther up Oasis we could see activity over behind the gardens so went to see what was going on.  Dirt is being piled up along that far fence line to “block the view” as you drive down Cottonwood.  Then the compost pile will be moved over there so it is out of site of the City Fathers or whoever else complained that the area was unsightly. 

blog

blog

blog

From there we proceeded south on Cole Circle and found a crew replacing some broken curbing or concrete in front of 1330.  Handling that jack hammer takes some muscle and fortitude.  Yow!

Beck 1330

Beck 1330

Approaching the middle of the park by the tennis courts, we came across this gent still trimming the bark off more palm trees.  I can only imagine the blistered hand and sore arms I’d have if I would attempt even one tree!

IMG_4244

IMG_4245

Then I needed to swing by the front administration building to mail my Netflix disk.  (What would we ever do without Netflix here in the hot summer afternoons??!!)

I spied this Cooper Painting truck outside and sure enough, my good friends (Kim and Pat) were inside taking their lunch break.  Cooper Painting has the job of painting the whole inside of the admin building!  I’ll have to keep going up there every day for a while to watch their progress.  Pat and Kim (husband/wife team) were the ones who painted our house inside and out last summer and did a great job.  It was a pleasure getting to know them.

IMG_4253

IMG_4248

IMG_4249

Looks like we’ll have some different colors.  This photo is Denise at work at the front desk ‘before’ painting started.

denise blog

And here’s the lobby area ‘before’. 

lobby blog

While walking down the hall, I noticed the jig saw puzzle in the library all put together so stopped to take a look.  WOW!  That took someone with eagle eyes to put it all together.  I left a note for whoever it was to contact me so I could congratulate them.  I found out (down at the swimming pool last night) that it was Vera Burke who did most of it with some help from Bev Johnson.  This was a toughie!  Congratulations on the diligence to accomplish the feat.

puzzle blog

Speaking of the library…..hats off to our summer librarians who keep the books on the shelves, all in the proper place, and handle all the new donations.  We have some very avid readers here in the summer!  I’m guessing that Barb Weaver is the heavy hitter who keeps the room ship shape.  Thank you, Barb.

library blog

I glanced through the local paper that was laying out on the table and spotted this article about local pickleball classes being conducted in town.  I think that sport is really catching on and becoming more popular all the time. 

IMG_4250

As I was leaving the building, I spotted Eddie over by stained glass so went to see what he was up to.  He was repairing a latch on the door.  Eddie certainly does a myriad of repairs around the park so I’m always bugging him with camera in hand to investigate his projects.  He just groans and mumbles at me when he sees camera in hand.  Smile Eddie!

IMG_4251

IMG_4252

Yesterday I found Eddie up on a ladder repairing the netting that tore loose in the big dirt storm.  His “honey do” list never never never ends.

IMG_4159

Out in back of the office area, I saw this impressive line up of Dish trucks so there must be a meeting going on someplace.  Couldn’t find anybody to question though so I don’t have any new about them…….yet.

IMG_4247

Finally it was time to head home for lunch but as I was coming up my street (Starry Night Lane), I found this FANTASTIC cactus in full bloom in front of 1703 (Les and Betty Jacobsen).  Yes….I have already emailed a bunch of photos to them.  Too bad they can’t see them in person!  I’ll definitely be adding these pictures to my collection.

Jacobsen 1703 blog

Jackobsen 1703 blog

blog

Those of you who know “Popkorn” can say hello as he lives next door to Les and Betty.

Popkorn

After reading all this………………..are you still awake?  I have one more hilarious story to share regarding our house watch rounds yesterday.  Touring houses is quite a routine for us by now so Don grabs his smart phone and heads around back while I enter the front door.  As soon as I walked into 1742, I could smell coffee.  Then I noticed some lights on.  Hello??  Oh my gosh………..Richard and Linda came back to their park model last night and I hadn’t read their email alerting me to that yet so I walked right into their home!  It was hilarious so we got a good laugh out of it but I was so embarrassed to just barge into someone’s home not realizing they were there.  Don ran into the same thing as he walked around back as Linda was out working in the yard.  “What are you doing here?”  I’m glad they were good sports about our unexpected visit.

Miller 1742

Miller3