Friday, January 08, 2010

Another week at Palm Creek

Okay....it has been another fun-filled adventurous week at Disney Land for Seniors here at Palm Creek.  I have so much FUN here that I sometimes feel guilty.  Tuesday was a bright sunny day and perfect for our softball teams.  It was the kickoff event for this season.  Don and I hurried off to the field to watch the Rattlers vs the Sidewinders and what a great game it was.  Both teams are Palm Creek residents so to us it didn't matter which team won as long as everyone had fun and I believe they truly did.  While we soaked in some rays of warmth and sunshine and cheered and bantered with fellow fans, the rest of the country was shivering in icy temps and blinding snow.  Like I said, I "almost" feel guilty for having such a good time.

Even if you're not a true softball fan, you should at least come out to the games and cheer for the players.  I'm sure you know someone on one of the teams as these are some very active residents.  Mark your calendar for game days and plan to have lunch at the concession stand.  They serve some awesome hamburgers that put Burger King, MacDonalds, and even In/Out Burger to shame.

This being the kick off game for the season, our Park Manager (Wendell Johnson) and Diane Gaines were present for the opening ceremony.  We were very thankful to the park for supporting the teams and assisting with the installation of a brand new scoreboard for us avid fans.  Diane had the honors of pitching (well.....sorta tossing) the ball to home plate and Wendell was skillful enough to ceremoniously hit one.  It was nice to see them present. 

For those folks who don't realize how active the softball teams are, I'll put in a good word for them.  The teams really support the park by volunteering to help with a lot of set up and take down at events.  I know for sure they show up every Monday night to put up all the tables and chairs after bingo.  That's no easy chore either so I personally thank them on behalf of the bingo players.

Since Diane's name appears here, I'll put in a plug for her too.  In my book, Diane is part Super Woman with all she accomplishes for us.  I don't know what her official title is and I hope I don't miss something, but I believe she is in charge of the Pro Shop and Golf  Leagues, she is the Sports Director to oversee all the sport teams and events, she is in charge of that beautiful newsletter we receive monthly, she is involved with all the special events in the park.....and please forgive me Diane if I missed anything else.  I can always come back here and edit later.  The moment you give her a compliment though, she immediately gives credit to all the wonderful volunteers who assist with "getting it done." 




There is ALWAYS a line at the concession stand.  Great food!!

Tuesday was softball and Wednesday was another weekly meeting of the Palm Creek Computer Club which I truly enjoy.  I'm rather addicted to a keyboard and am fascinated by the cyberworld so I want to share that enthusiasm with anyone who will take the time to listen.  This week we talked about blogs, Skyping with friends and relatives, and a plethora of other computer issues.  The exciting part of the club for me is the fact that there are so many different levels of "users".  No matter how much you use your computer, there is ALWAYS something new to learn.  You can click on the link for "computer club" at the side of this blog to learn more.  Our attendance this week actually tripled in size and we're hoping even more folks will come to join us.  I tried to snap a quick photo at the end of the meeting but wasn't fast enough.  I'll do better next time.  If you have topics you would like to learn more about, you can always email our fearless leader, Peggy Fetzer, and she can add items to the agenda.  Email:  palmcreekcomputerclub@gmail.com



And now a word about AVATAR.  For those of you who have not yet seen that movie.............GO see it!!  WOW!!  It is a true technological wonder, fantastic, awesome movie.  We saw the movie here in Casa Grande at the Harkins Theater and just loved it.  After talking about it with neighbors, they advised us to see it in 3D.  Don and I needed to make a Costco trip so we took the time to go to the Imax 3D at Arizona Mills in Tempe.  Oh my gosh!!!  The world of 3D has come a long way.  It was sooooo awesome.

Gotta run and get started on another day of adventure.  Must get ready for tonight cause the gals will be coming over to play cards...another fun event for me.  Hope all you readers are having a great time too!!