Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ride along with me today

Good Morning from sunny Arizona!  We’re having a wonderful respite from any hot weather these last few days.  We were in the 90s for a while (which makes that swimming pool sooooo inviting in the afternoons….and I do soooooo enjoy being retired now so I can enjoy it)  but now we’re having a cold snap with temps in the 80s.  We’re supposed to have some gusty winds for the next two days but I think we can “suffer” through it.  In other words….it’s wonderful!!
Yesterday afternoon was so beautiful and quiet in the park.  I hopped in the golf cart and rode around to tour the homes of our housewatch customers.  I love to snap an occasional photo to send to them but had so much fun with the pics today that I thought I’d post them here for all to enjoy. 
Desert plants are awesome and so vastly different from what I was used to back in Wisconsin and Ohio.  This is also an exceptional year for blossoms since we had ample rain this winter.  I spotted this prickly pear cactus that looked so pretty against the green of the golf course behind it.  (found at Verna and Wayne Sheppard’s home)
vernaPhil & Julie Calef at Site #5 really enjoyed their new park model this season and have some fascinating plants in their yard.  The century plant is massive!
julie (5)  There is a prickly pear in the backyard with a distinct purple color.  Now with the yellow blossoms, it is really colorful.
julie julie (2) These spikey plants are very common (have no idea what they’re called) but when you take time to look closely, they have beautiful blossoms.  I took this picture in front of Gary & Gayle Petersen’s home at 1719.  Note the cute baby dove that just sat there and posed for the photo.
misc pics 013This close up shows the pretty blooms when they open.
 petersen (3)Speaking of doves….I took this photo for Jerry & Linda Dey at Site 1030 so they would know their golf cart is being protected?? by our feathered friends.misc pics 012 This cactus at 1059 belongs to Bob & Lucy Caldwell.  This is the second set of blossoms I’ve photographed on their plant this month.
CaldwellDoves are plentiful and make good subjects for photos.  They can find the strangest places for their nests.  I thought Bill & Gayl Benedict at site 1582 would enjoy seeing the addition to their light fixture.
1582Not all house reports are necessarily good news.  I had to call Doug and Louise Kant (site 1309) to inform them that a swarm of bees had taken up residence in a large urn they left on their front porch.  We called Wade Paupst from Sunstate Pest Control to eliminate the nest.  Wade is a great guy and responded to my call within the hour.  I highly recommend his service to anyone needing an exterminator or for regular spraying and pest control.  He donned his bee suit, sprayed the swarm, closed the opening to the urn, and moved it to a different location.  He explained that bees will still be seen in the area for a few days as many were out gathering pollen when he sprayed and will be returning looking for their home but without a nest to return to, they’ll soon depart.
I first called the park to report the bees but found out that if the bees are on the home owners property, it is the owner’s responsibility to get rid of them.  Thus Sunstate (Phone:  520-466-1977) was called into action.  Wade also does this service for Palm Creek whenever the park encounters a swarm on the golf course or on trees.  kant If you click on this photo, you can see the bees quite clearly….but I wasn’t going to get any closer!!!!!  Wade says that most honey bees in Arizona have been Africanized by aggressive bees so beekeepers won’t come to capture the swarms.  These swarms always leave the artificial hives so aren’t any use to beekeepers.
On another note:  Today I received an email from Ron & Loretta Savary.  They are full time RVers who stumbled across this blog and will be coming to Palm Creek for the first time next season.  They’ve reserved a spot at 536 on Lantana and look forward to their first visit.  Thank you, Ron & Loretta, for your nice email.  (hmmmm….wonder if I qualify for a commission on that reservation.  LOL)
Thus ends today’s post.  Just wanted to share my afternoon with you and let our customers know how much Don and I enjoy watching after your homes.  TaTa for now.