Monday, June 19, 2023

Wasp Rescue, Palm in Bloom

 I recently posted an old video of a honey bee I scooped out of the pool.  As luck would have it, tonight's adventure was even better when I rescued this beautiful wasp.  Mother Nature is so creative when it comes to color and variety.


You can watch him dry off and fly away.  😀 He has little claws on the end of his legs so he would not let go of the net.  


In response to the bee video, I received this nice note from Ron Brixey:
As a retired beekeeper, I thought you would like to know that the bee in the video

is a female. All worker bees, the ones that go out and forage for pollen and nectar and

pollinate flowers as a result are female. There are only a few male bees, called drones,

in a hive and their only purpose in life is to mate with the queen of the colony.

I truly enjoy your blog, read it all the time and love watching Don's drone videos!!

Ron Brixey
**********

Don sent the drone up today to view the palm tree now in bloom.  His previous video was when the tree just had the long pods.  This photo was from June 7 just showing the long spikes.


Here's the tree today, June 19, with many of the spikes now in bloom with lots more to come.  All those little white flower petals will fall to the ground....and blow into the swimming pools, cover our patios and cars, etc.  That's the price we pay for living with palm trees.  I hear some residents complain and grumble but I just smile because I love the trees.  They'll all be trimmed and cleaned up by the time fall season rolls around.  


Here's the little video.

I spied this lovely yellow cactus flower at site 1654 this morning.  Look at all the buds on the stalk.  In another day or so it will be awesome!  If you happen to know the owner, forward them this photo as I'm sure they'd be happy.


**********
This week's Weather Bug forecast.  Early morning temps will still be lovely for that patio coffee time.